[Perth-pm] Perl opportunities in Perth?

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Wed Dec 7 11:30:34 PST 2011

On 12/4/11 12:54 PM, Geoff Gunner wrote:
> JAPH in London looking to relocate to Perth.
> Looking through the recruitment consultancy listings, I've not seen any
> mention of our beloved language. Is Perl not much in demand Down-Under?
> Admittedly these days I more project-manage than spend all my days at a
> keyboard, but you know Perl - so useful for e.g. bridging Perforce and
> JIRA to give an automated turnover release process and TWiki
> documentation process. Ending up in a Perl-free environment would be ...
> tragic.

It's not so bad.  I've found skills, practices and community spirit you
get from Perl programming are very transferable to other languages and
language communities.  Especially if you know some C as well.  And often
shops that are after other scripting languages, eg Python, Ruby etc are
quite happy to have you become proficient in the new language (and
libraries, really) on the job.

Sam