[Pdx-pm] Fwd: [PLUG-ANNOUNCE] Thursday PLUG: My COVID Art Project with Perl and Image::Magick

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 19:41:22 PST 2021

Subject: [PLUG-ANNOUNCE] Thursday PLUG: My COVID Art Project with Perl and
Image::Magick
Date: Monday, March 01, 2021, 19:07:24
From: Michael Dexter <dexter at pdxlinux.org>
To: Portland Linux/Unix Group Announcements <plug-announce at pdxlinux.org>,
Portland Linux/Unix Group <plug at pdxlinux.org>

Portland Linux/Unix Group General Meeting Announcement

Who: Ali Corbin
What: My COVID Art Project with Perl and Image::Magick
Where: https://meet.jit.si/pdxlinux
When: Thursday, March 4th, 2021 at 7pm
Why: The pursuit of technology freedom

Back in the summer I started an art project for COVID times. I wrote a
Perl script, using Image::Magick, that calculates the number of days
since March 13, 2020 and then converts each number into ASCII text and
draws it on a canvas, nudging the size, position and color slightly
between each one. I ran this every day, collecting a bunch of images
(350, at this point).

That was the first part. After I started to get a number of these
images, I started assembling them into mosaics. At first I used all the
images I'd made, sorting them out from dark to light and ordering them
to match the dark to lightness of a reference photo. After a while I
changed the logic to pick out the image that was the closest match in
value to each area of the reference photo. And currently I'm picking out
the closest image in hue.

About Ali

As for me, I'm an old-fart programmer. I started out back in the 70's,
writing in assembly language, and worked for over three decades,
dabbling in a mess of different languages on a slew of different
platforms. As Linux gained prominence in the computing world, I worked
more and more on it.

Project page: http://alijc.github.io/art/

Code repo: https://github.com/alijc/alijc.github.io/tree/master/art

Project Images: https://ali-corbin-sketches.blogspot.com/search/label/covid

PLUG is open to everyone and does not tolerate abusive behavior on its
mailing lists or at its meetings.

PLUG Page with information about all PLUG events: http://pdxlinux.org/
Follow PLUG on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pdxlinux

Michael Dexter