[Pdx-pm] Might be a job

David Merrill dave.merrill at frontier.com
Thu Jan 31 17:25:41 PST 2013

Hello, Perl Mongers,

I'm working with someone who wants a fairly straightforward database
system to process web-based applications for people who aspire to put on
their stage shows in his theatre festivals.

Here's the notice he posted on LinkedIn:

      Online database wanted

I produce theatre festivals in NYC. I use Constant Contact for E-blasts.
I created an online application form using their survey tools, which is
a step up from having people print and fill out a paper application
form, which we then need to enter into a spreadsheet and share with our
staff. I'm looking to make another step up. I need the following features:
* Share application form on Web site.
* Allow applicants to save their work and go back to it.
* Maintain applicants' privacy (from each other).
* Allow upload of supporting materials in PDF, DOC, JPEG, MP3, etc. format.
* Branching to different pages depending on input.
* Pay different application fees depending on plan chosen, preferably
with PayPal interface.
* Save results, supporting materials, and payment records in manageable
formats (spreadsheet, separate folders, master file, etc.).

Any and all suggestions welcome!
John Chatterton
Executive producer, Midtown International Theatre Festival, Midwinter
Madness Short Play Festival, Short Play Lab

He also wants a kind of intranet access to the application data for his
various staff, each of which may need to narrow their view to see a
subset of the application fields.

While working with him to redesign his web site (midtownfestival.org), I
proposed a Perl/mySQL solution, but he seems to have an aversion to
Perl, preferring a more direct use of the SQL language. I frankly didn't
understand what he was asking for, but he was quite specific and seems
to have had Perl experience. So I'm passing this on to any of you who do
understand.

It might seem odd that I would propose a specifically non-Perl job on
this list, but I'm hoping some of you may have encountered an SQL
alternative that can be used for this purpose. I certainly have not.

If you're interested, you can contact him at midtownfestival at gmail.com.
If you have questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

--

*David Merrill, Clarient Solutions
*

/"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn
how to do it."
     -- Pablo Picasso/

/"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which
is the bitterest."
     -- Confucius/