[Pdx-pm] Prime Number Generation in Perl -- December meeting in 2 weeks

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Nov 30 01:21:02 PST 2012

Hi all,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:29:14 -0800
Seven til Seven <enobacon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thursday, December 13th, 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.
>
> Prime Number Generation in Perl
>  speaker: Dana Jacobsen
>
> Dana will give a brief introduction to primes, primality testing, and
> sieves, then show examples in Perl. Dana is the author of the
> Math::Prime::Util module on CPAN.
>
> Outline:
>   * Primes
>   * Applications
>   * Primality testing in Perl
>   * Sieves
>   * 15 sieve implementations in Perl including a new string-based sieve
>   * 6 CPAN modules
>   * Performance and memory use
>   * Prime Counting
>
> Sadly a lot of the web examples of Perl sieves are quite bad, often 3-6x
> slower than Perl can do. We can do better! There are also a number of
> CPAN modules related to primes, which will briefly be covered.

Very interesting. I'd be happy to read the slides.

Note that I had blogged about some Perl, Haskell and C programs for
generating the primes here:

http://shlomif-tech.livejournal.com/44006.html

Also see the comments. I do not claim they are the most optimal solution, but
the Haskell program I started with was quite worse, due to an excessive use of
division-based operators.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish