[Pdx-pm] OT: Mac Linux Unix Mail

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jan 21 09:29:47 PST 2012

This is off topic, but some of you have Macs and play
with the code underneath the GUI.  I want to feed the
output of custom system scripts (mostly my ugly Perl)
into Mac Mail.

I'm integrating a Snow Leopard Mac Mini into a small
pond of Linux machines.  For email, the Linux machines
run postfix, procmail, spamassassin, and mutt.  The
linux boxes have no GUI mail readers, no POP/IMAP stuff.

Our (non-technical) Mac user wants to use the Mac Mail
client, and POP/IMAP from her outside account.  I also
want to feed system generated mails directly into the
Mac's postfix smtp input.  The mails are highly sensitive,
I don't want to pass them through any external mail
servers, and I would rather not secure and maintain
dovecot on our internal LAN (I will if I must).

I'm trying to fit this one oddball machine into the rest
of the system with as few special cases as possible.

First, where on the web should I be looking for clues
and suggestions about geeking underneath the Mac GUI?
Any keywords that might help?

Second, can I set the Mac up with Maildir format for
backup uniformity with the Linux machines?

Third, if I tweak postfix and procmail to feed internal
mail directly to an inbound Mac user folder/directory,
bypassing POP/IMAP, am I risking breakage?  Is there a
best way to do this?  Or am I up against Mac TIOWTDI ?
See Figure One?

Keith