[Pdx-pm] off topic (possibly): web based shared document with control

Joshua Keroes joshua at keroes.com
Wed Apr 18 09:59:26 PDT 2012

2012/4/17 Tom Keller <kellert at ohsu.edu>

> I have a group of people that want to contribute to a document on-line but
> each person needs to be able to edit only their own section, with read only
> permission for the parts written by others. Is there a web app that allows
> that? Obviously, a Perl solution would be best.

Well, there are lots of more permissive models out there. EtherPad was
bought by Google and spawned http://docs.google.com . In the Google Docs
document editor, you'd be able to share a single document with the group
and people could edit in real time. Unfortunately for you, there's no
notion of protected sections. That said, you can color each editor's text
and roll back changes through the integrated version control. Maybe that's
good enough?

There are several Etherpad clones and successors out there. Here's a list:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20004686-248.html . Like Google Docs, I
think they're all more permissive than you've described.

You know... the retired and now read-only Google Wave sort of hits your
requirements. I don't know offhand if there's a current public deployment.

Maybe you want a CMS? That would let you set up the level of control you
need. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems#Perllists
the Perl ones although there hasn't been much development in this
arena lately.

-Joshua