[Pdx-pm] Package Management

Chad Granum exodist7 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:45:24 PDT 2012

I sit very firmly in the camp that your application should use a
different perl install, seperate from the OS version. Many OS's (read:
redhat) ship broken, or restricted perls. If you install your own Perl
you can build it to the default/normal specifications, or add in
custom flags. In addition your modules install to the new perl and do
not conflict with the system perl.

The best way I find to accomplish this is to user perlbrew
(http://github.com/gugod/App-perlbrew)

Use perlbrew to install whatever version of perl you want ot use for
your software. Switch tot he installed perl, use cpan/cpanm to install
deps. Done. I do all my development under perlbrew now.

-Chad