[Pdx-pm] What am I doing wrong?

Art Burke Art.Burke at educationnorthwest.org
Wed Nov 30 09:14:39 PST 2011

I just installed ActivePerl and am trying it out.

This runs fine:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use 5.006;
use strict;
use warnings;

$a = 6;
$b = 7;
print (($a*$b), "\n");

The script below fails with a message that "Global symbol "$v1" requires explicit package name ...". Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

#!/usr/bin/perl

use 5.006;
use strict;
use warnings;

$v1 = 6;
$v2 = 7;
print (($v1*$v2), "\n");

Thanks!
Art
Arthur J. Burke
Senior Methodology Advisor
Education Northwest
101 SW Main St, Suite 500
Portland OR 97204-3213
Art.Burke at educationnorthwest.org
Phone: 503-275-9592
http://educationnorthwest.org

Need help finding evidence-based answers to questions about education practices, policies, or programs? Take advantage of our free reference desk service offered by our REL Northwest project. Contact Jennifer Klump at http://askarel.org/northwest for prompt, authoritative, and customized answers to your questions.