[Pdx-pm] March 9th meeting next week - need speaker/topic

Jeff Lavallee jeff at zeroclue.com
Mon Mar 7 21:56:50 PST 2011

On Feb 28, 2011, at 8:49 PM, Jonathan Duke Leto wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Alas, I will be out of town, so I can't possibly be wrangled into doing this.
>
> But I will gladly throw others under the bus:
>
> 1) Jeff owes us a talk and he talks pretty

Gosh.  I think that's the nicest thing that's ever been said about me on an email list.

I will be glad to give two talks - that's right, 2 for the price of 1.

FIrst, the talk I owe - a short journey into my Worst Useful Hack.   I promise plenty of questionable system calls, bad SQL, poorly thought out subroutines, and lots of global variables.  I won't spoil it though, I'm saving the worst bits for the meeting.   Your comments will be welcome, but the answer to most will probably be "it seemed like a good idea at the time", followed by "I did it in a day and a half".  Not that either of those is a valid excuse, but I will do my best to play them off as such.

For my second trick, I'd like to share a weekend hack of mine from a few weeks ago.  Test::Mock::Redis is (read: will eventually be) a drop-in replacement for Redis.pm for use in tests.  Some operations will likely never be implemented, but I believe the majority will.  It's far enough along to serve my purposes currently, but I only use a small subset of redis operations.

If you're not familiar with redis, it's an in-memory, more-than-key-value-store.  I'll give some background on redis, and then dive into the all-Perl implementation that is Test::Mock::Redis.

It's really been a pile of fun - Perl has build it support for most redis data types, and getting to emulate/implement the rest is fun too.  Perl newbies and old hats alike will likely have fun picking apart or making fun of the current implementation.   In addition, there's plenty more to do, so it should be fertile ground for folks to hack on, after the meeting, at the next PDX Hackathon, or at home.  I'd love to take pull requests :)

The caveats: I have no slides.  I do have a (tiny) projector, which I can bring.  I don't know anything about opening or closing up the space at Free Geek, so hopefully somebody can help with that bit.  My two talks won't take very long, so if somebody else has a fun project they'd like to share, that would rock.

Sound like a plan?

Jeff