[Pdx-pm] Apache Lucy inaugural release 0.1.0 (incubating)

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Thu Jun 2 17:26:07 PDT 2011

Greets,

Those of you who have been around for a while may be able to dredge from your
memory vague recollections of a January 2005 meeting with three lightning
talks, one of them on "Kinosearch".

  http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/pdx-pm-list/2005-January/002350.html

  - MarvinHumphrey: Kinosearch, a Perl search engine library
  - GabrielleRoth: How I Integrated & Automated a Network Management System
    with Perl
  - Keith Lofstrom: Dirvish - disk-to-disk based on perl and rsync

A lot has happened since then.  :)

  * July 2005 -- "Search::Kinosearch" 0.01 released to CPAN.
  * January 2006 -- "KinoSearch", a rewrite loosely based on Java Lucene and
    incorporating considerable XS, released to CPAN.
  * June 2006 -- Doomed original incarnation of Apache Lucy launched as a
    Lucene subproject.
  * 2007-2009 -- KinoSearch receives a torso transplant; all core code
    rewritten in pure C.
  * October 2008 -- I move from Oregon to San Diego and go work for Eventful.
  * July 2010 -- Apache Lucy rebooted, leaves the Lucene umbrella and enters
    the Apache Incubator with the goal of assimilating the KinoSearch code base
    and community.

Two and a half years after moving to San Diego, I'm still working for
Eventful, and still getting paid to write open source -- about 75% of my time
goes towards working on Lucy.

And finally, today:

  * June 2011 -- Apache Lucy 0.1.0 (incubating) released.

  http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/
  http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=907882

The Portland Perl Mongers were very first to hear about KinoSearch, and some
of its denizens were among the first users and boosters:

  http://www.justatheory.com/computers/blog/kinosearch.html
  http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2006/03/cpan_module_review_kinosearch.html

Thanks for all the thoughtful and generous feedback I received back then,
folks.  Look -- I took your advice, and it worked!

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey