[Pdx-pm] Configuration Management in Continuous Integration environments

Nick Wehr nick2canz at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 15:44:24 PST 2010

Hello everyone,

First off, beware, I'm a bit nutty when it comes to configuration
management. I've recently deployed a Hudson instance and wanted to move some
Catalyst projects into it. What I'd like to solicit feedback on here is: *how
are you managing your Perl dependencies in these build systems? *Here's some
goals I have:

   - do not assume any non-core modules are installed on the build platform
   - use specific version of modules in the built product - product is a
   Catalyst website for example (@inc or use lib)
   - need to archive specific version of CPAN dependencies offline; this
   means we can recreate a product without an internet connection
   - allow for the rebuild of dependencies when the build platform has
   changed; this is meant to address a platform change from 32bit to 64bit

What I'm looking at is either using local::lib or PREFIX & LIB w/ cpan. What
do you think?

Thanks in advance,
-nicholas