[Pdx-pm] Test::Builder 2 - March meeting tonight

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Mar 11 11:08:33 PDT 2009

Thanks for filling in, Eric.  Here's some more detail about "some sort of talk".

We'll go over the basics of how Perl's testing system works. What things like
Test::More and Test::Harness and Test::Builder and MakeMaker do and how they
relate. TAP (Test Anything Protocol) will be briefly covered. Then we'll move
on to how to use Test::Builder to write your own test module, and why you'd
want to do that. Finally, we'll go into what's wrong with the design of
Test::Builder and what Test::Builder2 is going to do about that.

Following the talk we're going to do some coding. People will split up into
pairs (or triads, if you swing that way) and work on something to do with
testing and Test::Builder or just watch. This includes...

    * Writing some tests for your own stuff.
    * Writing your own testing library
    * Fixing some Test::Builder bugs (RT tracker, Google code tracker)
    * Helping out with Test::Builder2

It's low pressure and you're encouraged to ask questions.

Hopefully we can get a good mix of experience and inexperienced people to pair
together. Test::Builder2 is using Moose (well, Mouse) and git, so here's an
opportunity to play with them.

I hope people will bring their laptops. If you plan on working on TB2 make
sure you have git and Mouse installed. I also encourage people to bring an
extra keyboard and mouse to make pairing easier. Finally, if there is a spare
projector and it's not too much trouble please bring it.

Don't panic!

--
31. Not allowed to let sock puppets take responsibility for any of my
    actions.