[Pdx-pm] Need to Change Mailing Lists

John Sechrest sechrest at peak.org
Thu Jun 11 17:59:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:37 PM, John Melesky <list at phaedrusdeinus.org>wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2009, at 2:56 PM, John Sechrest wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Ingy dot Net <ingy at ingy.net> wrote:
>
>> I can't figure out how if/where the public signup page for the group/list
>> is.
>>

> http://googlegroups.com/group/listname
>
> Is that what you mean?
>

> That's "public" insofar as people can see it, but not insofar as
> non-google-account-having people can sign up (except by signing up for a
> google account).

Google requires a mapping of email + password, but this is not a  gmail
account.

You have to get a password  + email  mapping for mailman too, it just looks
different.

So I am not sure on the difference here.

> As background, it's worth noting that google does allow non-google-account
> subscribers to mailing lists. The interface for it is, as far as i can tell,
> email-only (mailing listname-subscribe at googlegroups.com). It's also buggy
> (i recently re-subscribed to a single group, and was incorrectly
> resubscribed to all groups i had ever been subscribed to), and incomplete
> (email only means no access to google's "flag spam" tools, etc., nor,
> obviously, any group assets aside from the mailing list).
>
> In short, google groups may well be great for google account holders, but
> non-holders are second-class citizens.

I have not seen the bugs you talk about.

--
John Sechrest          .
Corvallis Benton        .
             (541) 757-1507              . sechrest at corvallisedp.com