[Pdx-pm] Designing a C library specifically for HLL binding

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 23:30:22 PDT 2008

# from paull at peak.org
# on Thursday 30 October 2008:

>These formats
>have nice grammars, so the typical approach is a flex/bison pair where
>major (interesting) grammatical productions brew up a HV/AV complex
> data structure and pass it to a user defined (Perl) callback.
>
>A C library specifically for binding to a HLL interpreter.

Hi Paul,

Thanks, that definitely helps my thinking.  The mini-language of macros
trick might come in particularly handy given the repetitive nature of
some of the unpacking.

Aside:  One of my references for this project is going to be the python
code which Art Haas did as a first-attempt based on the ODA published
findings of the format.  I'm not sure whether there was code generation
involved here, but starting around line 213 there is a very unsettling
pattern:

  http://vectorsection.org/svn/trunk/python/lib/acad/dwg15.py

--Eric
--
"If you only know how to use a hammer, every problem begins to look like
a nail."