[Pdx-pm] perl upgrade

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Jan 30 18:10:26 PST 2008

Alan wrote:
> I need to understand how CPAN figures dependencies.  I have a couple of
> modules that a co-worker tried to install via CPAN into 5.10.0 and it
> failed to find Class::MethodMaker when building GnuPG::Interface and a few
> others.  Not certain what it takes to get the problem resolved these days.

Each distribution declares it's own dependencies.  CPAN.pm looks at that
information in each distribution.  Because the declarations are usually done
by hand, sometimes the distribution author might forget a dependency.

These days the easiest way to figure a module's dependencies is to look at the
META.yml file.
http://search.cpan.org/meta/GnuPG-Interface/META.yml

As you can see in "requires" GnuPG-Interface properly declares its dependency
on Class::MethodMaker.  So something else must have been going wrong, possibly
a busted CPAN mirror.

--
60. “The Giant Space Ants” are not at the top of my chain of command.
     -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army