[Pdx-pm] pdxfunc meeting: Monday, January 14, 7pm, CubeSpace

Igal Koshevoy igal at pragmaticraft.com
Fri Jan 11 10:02:51 PST 2008

Join us at the next meeting of pdxfunc, the Portland Functional
Programming Study Group. We'll have presentations, demos and
discussions. We welcome programmers interested in all functional
languages and our meetings have content for coders of all skill levels.
If interested, please also subscribe to our mailing list at
http://groups.google.com/group/pdxfunc

PRESENTATIONS

(1) Justin Bailey: Exploring Haskell's space and time profiling tools

A presentation on the space and time profiling tools available for GHC
Haskell, featuring slides and interactive demos. Heap profiling tools
and methods will be discussed, along with a demonstration of how to use
them to detect a space leak. Time profiling tactics will be covered
using "cost-centre" annotations to help select candidates for
optimization. Recommendations will be given on how to read the "Core"
language with an eye for optimization.

Justin Bailey (jgbailey at gmail.com) has been programming professionally
for 12 years, and is currently a Computer Science master's student at
Portland State University. Until 2006, he coded exclusively with
object-oriented languages like Java and C#, but then discovered Haskell
and hasn't looked back. He's released a Haskell library for building
command-line applications called HCL, made contributions to several
other Haskell libraries, and continues to hack Haskell every day he can.

(2) Iavor Diatchki: Writing parsing combinators with Haskell

A presentation on parsing combinators, given as a hands-on demonstration
for developing a small library to parse JSON data using Haskell. The
entire process will be shown from scratch, starting with defining the
concept of JSON values, using pretty-printer combinators to turn values
into strings, and finally using parser combinators to turn strings into
values.

Iavor S. Diatchki is an engineer at Galois Inc., where he uses
functional programming for the development of high assurance software.
Iavor obtained his PhD degree in 2007. His research focused on various
aspect of using functional languages for the development of low-level
systems software such as OS kernels.