[Pdx-pm] Parrot on Windows

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:40:47 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Allison Randal <allison at perl.org> wrote:
> I don't have a Windows dev machine, but I've copied Jerry, one of our
> most active Windows developers in Parrot.

thanks, allison, i'll help kris. btw i joined the pdx-pm list some
time ago, so i'll catch the whole thread without anybody remembering
to copy me directly.

> Kris Bosland wrote:
> >       Hey, I am interested in starting to try out Parrot.  Since I am
> > doing all my work on Windows these days (=() I am trying to get it built
> > there.  It seems like a good time since it sounds like there is a mostly
> > working LUA port and I am also interested in learning LUA.

great news, kris. welcome!

> >       I am trying to get compilation working with the microsoft Visual
> > Studio stuff, but I am not familiar enough to know how to run it outside
> > of the IDE.  I found this web page:
> >
> > http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/msvc.html
> >
> > which mentions: cl foo.c
> >
> > So I tried:
> >
> > "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat"
> > parrot-0.4.16>perl Configure.pl
> > --cc="c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\cl.exe"
> > --link="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\link.exe"
> >
> > but I got:
> >
> > ..
> > Finding header files distributed with
> > Parrot..........................done.
> > Determining what C compiler and linker to use...Compilation failed with
> > 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\cl.exe'
> >

> > I don't see any specific directions in the readme or in online searching.
> >
> > Any ideas?

you should look at README.win32.pod, in the top level directory of the
parrot distribution. there you'll find instructions for setting up
parrot using ms, borland, mingw, and intel compiler toolchains. i
believe these documents to be up to date, and if they are not, i'd
appreciate knowing where you run into trouble. one of the difficulties
in keeping these documents up to date is that README files are
typically read-once--once there env is set up, there's no need to
re-read.

if you have troubles, you can post here, parrot-porters at perl.org, or
mail me directly. and you'll just about always find me (particle) at
irc.perl.org#parrot.

good luck!
~jerry