[Pdx-pm] string comparison vs hash

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:47:38 PDT 2007

# from chromatic
# on Tuesday 29 May 2007 03:54 pm:

>Worse than that, the first code to read the file pays the penalty of
>populating file buffers.  Subsequent reads probably all come from a
> warm cache.

Are we talking operating-system cache or perl guts?  And, if only the
OS, is there anything tying that to a given process?

I'm under the impression that given a linux machine which is not
actively swapping memory that the cache is as warm as it is going to
get after e.g. 'grep . file > /dev/null'.  Other than obvious machine
load, is there anything else going on there WRT per-process caching or
perl?

--Eric
--
"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that
bother me, it's the parts that I do understand."