[Pdx-pm] TWiki as substitute for kwiki?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:15:52 PDT 2007

# from Thomas J Keller
# on Tuesday 27 March 2007 01:36 pm:

>I had the impression Eric was wondering if there wasn't another
>approach to "staying connected" other than a wiki. He mentioned
>Combust, I think. (?)
>.. I like wikis myself, but many people find them to much of a
>nuisance to mess with, so I haven't gotten get as much input using
>them as I would like.

I'm in that other crowd.  I haven't found a single web app that I like
yet.  I like the idea of wiki, just hate using a browser as an editor.
(Hmm, the verbs inside those nouns might hold a clue as to why...)

Possibly kwiki with decent security and spam prevention and a RESTful
API would enable a thick-client mode.

But, then I wonder why we don't just use subversion.  (And, honestly, I
don't like to edit much of anything outside of vim.)  If the layout
engine could play nice with dotReader, a plugin might be able to serve
as a client-side preview tool.  That, or I could get over my desire to
preview and just write everything in unmarked text.

And, of course I would love to see *any* wiki *handle* conflict
resolution.  After a few preview+scroll+scroll+edit+scroll+preview
cycles, being told that someone else has changed the page since I
started and not having any straightforward way to cherry-pick the
changes is enough to make me just close the window and forget about it.

--Eric
--
Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to
predict the future is to invent it.