[Pdx-pm] Fwd: [pm_groups] Where have all the young hackers gone?

Josh Heumann perl-pm at joshheumann.com
Fri Jul 20 15:38:28 PDT 2007

<quote who='Eric Wilhelm' when='Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 03:01:48PM -0700'>
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get Edgar some answers, but I'm terrible at judging age
> and have no clue about the CS programs at the local universities.
> Anybody have some info on that?

I took over pdx.pm when I was 23, and I'm pretty sure I was the youngest
or nearly the youngest the whole time I was running it.  My information
on pdx.pm runs about six months out of date at this time, though.  If
you guys have had an influx of toddlers, I'll stand corrected.

As far as local universities, I know that PSU has a CS department, since
recent speaker Rik Smoody was a professor there: http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~riks/

I like the idea of recruting at universities, but I'm curious as to how
many of the pdx.pm regulars went to school for computer science.  I've
noticed that some of the best and the brightest either got degrees in
something completely different (oh, I don't know, like Linguistics) or
didn't get a degree at all.

Maybe this is a good topic for a new poll on the from page of pdx.pm.org?

Josh
http://joshheumann.com