[Pdx-pm] Recommendations for memory leak checking?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 00:46:35 PDT 2007

# from Kevin Scaldeferri
# on Wednesday 04 July 2007 10:38 am:

>As I mentioned at the end of my last message, there is no "the
>code".  Essentially, I'm designing Makefiles for general use.
>
>However, the last time I was trying to do memory leak debugging of
>Perl, a couple years ago, the tools which only detected object leaks
>proved not to find anything in the codebase I was working with.  The
>tools which detected general variable leaks found lots of stuff.

Following up on tonight's discussion -- How spread-out is the reference
allocation and ref-counting in the core?  Is it possible to hook into
it with XS (or a miniperl of sorts) and track the allocations (possibly
corollating them to line# in the source)?

--Eric
--
Issues of control, repair, improvement, cost, or just plain
understandability all come down strongly in favor of open source