[Pdx-pm] NCPAN - Not-so-Comprehensive Perl Archive

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 09:12:46 PDT 2007

# from benh
# on Sunday 08 July 2007 07:58 am:

>second would people please use the ratings feature, I know that I'm
>just a guilty of skipping it but this is the best way that we have so
>far to go about a positive-vetting process.

Hmm, probably the only thing that's going to get me to consistently
submit ratings and reviews is a voice-activated swear detector.

Barring that, something that reads the META.yml files from my dists and
e-mails me once a month (no less than 2 weeks after the dependency
appears) asking for reviews which I can then e-mail back.

Or possibly, some kind of temporary ranking mechanism that actually
*helps* me search.  It would probably still need to be able to nag me a
week later.  When searching for a module, I'll have lots of bad ratings
to hand out and maybe a good one after trying one in my code.  Having
the data and interfaces spread across multiple sites makes it less
usable (and search.cpan.org IMO does a poor job of aggregating it.)
But of course, having one site that does everything would get us back
into vetting, etc.  I think a "perl infrastructure" web API would
definitely help.

--Eric
--
hobgoblin n 1: (folklore) a small grotesque supernatural creature that
          makes trouble for human beings