[Pdx-pm] NCPAN - Not-so-Comprehensive Perl Archive

benh ben.hengst at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 07:58:28 PDT 2007

I guess the only thing that I would ~like~ is something in CPAN.pm
that reported "downloaded" I know that this would never fly, but it's
kinda interesting data to see what everyone else find and uses, whats
popular and whats not. It would also have the same effect as Michael's
request for vetting. I personally hate the idea of vetting, yes hate,
sends shivers up my spine kinda hate. The code that is shared on CPAN
has so many more uses then what was planned. I don't know how many
times I have wanted to do something, and end up looking at the src for
some module and learn a new code trick. then realize that I've been
going about things completely backwards and decide to skip the module.
I still learned something from the module, even though I didn't 'use'
it.

second would people please use the ratings feature, I know that I'm
just a guilty of skipping it but this is the best way that we have so
far to go about a positive-vetting process. I dont know if theres
anything in the search to float better ratings to the top? (project?)

Anywho thats whats on my 'ELSE' wish list Randal.

On 7/7/07, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Michael> I guess the point I'm dancing around is vetting.  CPAN is a great
> Michael> laboratory for creativity.  Some of that creativity rocks.  Some of
> Michael> it rots.  Is it time to have a not-so-comprehensive Perl Archive???
>
> Besides the reviews, smoke tests, manpage comments, bug reports, and googling
> for the articles written about a module, what ELSE do you want?
>
> If you're asking for a moderated CPAN, are you prepared to be the first
> full-time volunteer to vet the 30 modules per day submitted to the CPAN?
>
> Really - I don't know what *else* we can add.  Experts have published their
> opinions... ANYONE can publish a score or a review or manpage note or bug
> report easily through the existing tools.
>
> What ELSE do you want for free?
>
> --
> <merlyn at stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!

benh~