[Pdx-pm] Debian Sysadmin Job @ Open Sourcery

Michael G Schwern schwern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 16:36:54 PST 2007

The folks over at Open Sourcery asked if I knew anyone interested in a sysadmin job.  I figure I do, so here's the job listing.

http://www.opensourcery.com/about/careers/system_administrator

Email your resume to hr42 at opensourcery.com
Resume/CV's need to be in ODT or ASCII format.

OpenSourcery is looking for a mid to senior level systems administrator to join our team. System Administrators are tasked with design and implementation of primary IT systems for clients ranging from email, LAMP, wireless, Ubuntu desktop migrations, and Asterisk telephony. We touch it all, and you will work in an environment where continual learning is required. We also support our software development team with responsibility for internal IT, and systems for implementing the final software product for clients.

Required Non-Technical Skills

    * Communication skills. Ability to communicate ideas to engineering team or client about a particular design.
    * Time management skills. We are a project-based consultancy where billable time tracking is required; must be able to manage time spent on design and implementation work.
    * Project scoping. Must be able to work with the team on time estimates.
    * Strong documentation skills. We write documentation on all of our projects for future reference and knowledge transfer to our clients.
    * On-call support. We offer 24x7 support, and all system administrators follow a rotating schedule with fair compensation.
    * Transportation is required for on-site client visits. This includes the Portland Metro area. OpenSourcery gives additional reimbursement for biodiesel use.
    * Must be able to lift 50 lbs.

Required Technical Skills

    * Email system design: redundancy, load balancing, postfix, courier/dovecot, webmail systems.
    * Networking: DNS (djbdns), iptables, OpenVPN, openssh, basic switching & routing
    * Web: LAMP systems, apache2, AAA, virtual domains, logging and statistics, performance optimizing, load balancing, redundancy
    * Network Management: SNMP, Nagios, Cacti(or other stats programs)
    * Distributions: Debian/Ubuntu(primary), RHEL/CentOS
    * File Sharing: Samba/CIFS, NFS, WebDAV
    * Databases: Installation, configuration and maintenance of MySQL and Postgres
    * Basic scripting: bash, python, perl
    * Backup systems: BackupPC, tar, rsync

Preferred Non-Technical Skills

    * Formal Systems process management (ITIL, etc.)
    * Change Control experience: change management, issue handling, client communications
    * Request management: Request Tracker

Preferred Technical Skills

    * Directory services: Fedora Directory Server/OpenLDAP, its uses in single sign-on and authentication.
    * Authentication services: PAM, Kerberos, Apache basic
    * Mixed environment applications: Active Directory, Windows XP/2003 networking
    * Telephony applications: Asterisk, SIP, IAX2, rollout and cutover planning
    * Design, redundancy, performance, and capacity planning for all aspects of our technical abilities
    * Change control: subversion

Experience

    * 5 years professional experience working directly in UNIX, GNU/Linux environments
    * 2 years experience in medium to large UNIX, GNU/Linux IT environments (University, Corporate, etc)

Optional Certifications

    * LPI
    * RHCE
    * CCNA/CCNP

    * Resume/CV's need to be in ODT or ASCII format.
    * Email your resume to hr42 at opensourcery.com