[Pdx-pm] small smalltalk talk

Ovid publiustemp-pdxpm at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 01:34:53 PST 2007

--- Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> wrote:
> >wrong about that) but he can talk smalltalk and squeek.
>
> Going once, going twice...

Argh!  I would love to go to that talk :(

Once I understood how the language gets away without having if/else
expressions (ifTrue and ifFalse are methods on a boolean object), a
beautiful enlightenment hit.  I started regularly grepping my OO code
bases for "if" statements and started finding subtle bugs I had never
recognized before.

Believe it or not, studying Java made my Perl OO better.  Studying
Smalltalk (Squeek, actually), helped even more.  Do it!

Cheers,
Ovid

--

Buy the book -- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/