[Pdx-pm] sneaking tests into work

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Wed Feb 21 11:51:37 PST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 1:41 PM, benh wrote:

> Kevin, that sounds wonderful... proper code reviews, what a dream
> world you work in...

You can have that dream world, too!  You just make it happen.

Nobody says code reviews have to be sanctioned by the boss.  Nobody
says they have to be Officially Organized.  You get together with one
other programmer, say, Bob, and you two swap code.  You two have your
own two-man programming process.  You do things the right way because
that's how you work.

Then, people will notice.  People will notice how quickly you're
getting code done.  You'll have minimal bugs.  You'll be able to
refactor with impunity.  And all without official blessing from The
Boss.

Eventually the Boss will notice and start wanting to take ideas from
you.  "Oh, yeah, we do code review, it works well for us.  We could
implement that department-wide.  We'd be glad to help."

Nothing succeeds like success, and sometimes you have to JFDI.

xoxo,
Andy

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance