[Pdx-pm] The art of volunteering

benh ben.hengst at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 08:57:11 PST 2007

horray! glad to see that you made it to your new home safe and sound.
no worries about getting extra email.

as for my take on testing protected and private methods... well theres
the knee jerk reaction that everything should be tested, but if it's
protected then not only have to test that, yes, it works and fails the
way that I expected, but also that it's protected the way that I
expected. Though apart from that I don't see a reason ~not~ to test
something.

On 2/20/07, Josh Heumann <perl-pm at joshheumann.com> wrote:
> <quote who='benh' when='Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 11:01:55PM -0800'>
> > well it's not really a single speaker type of thing but I could
> > suggest some things, though there mostly issues like... how do I
> > convince co-workers to start writing tests?
>
> If they're insterested, you can give a little talk at work.
>
> If they're not interested or convinced, just start quietly writing tests
> for your own stuff.  When your tests start catching otherwise
> uncatchable bugs, you can say, "Hey, I caught this bug before it went
> into production.  And it was alllll thanks to testing!"
>
> While we're talking about testing, what's the general feeling on testing
> protected and private methods?

> PS.  Greetings from down under!  It was 38C all weekend!
> PPS. Apologies to benh, who got this a brazillian times.  The heat must
> be going to my head.

benh~