[Pdx-pm] [Mostly OT] DTrace on Linux

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin at scaldeferri.com
Wed Aug 8 23:24:18 PDT 2007

This evening I was talking to a few people about how cool DTrace is,
and how unfortunate it is that it's not being ported to Linux.  I was
under the impression that there were technical impedance mismatches
between Solaris and Linux that prevented it, but that's not true.
Apparently the real problem is a big licensing pissing war.  *cries*

http://blogs.sun.com/ahl/entry/dtrace_knockoffs  (read the comments)

-kevin

obPerl: Also in reading tonight I found that in addition to Ruby,
there's also now DTrace support in PHP and Java.  (And it seems that
someone has made patches for Python, although I don't think it's made
it into a release yet.)  It would be great if Perl got caught up in
this regard.