[Pdx-pm] Some filehandle help needed

Kyle Dawkins kyle at cepaso.com
Tue Aug 7 10:20:46 PDT 2007

Hi all

It's been a long time since I've had to diddle with filehandles with
any degree of complexity... I work exclusively in mod_perl land and
never need to deal with them.  Something has come up where I need to
connect to a /dev/tty from mod_perl.

This works (feel free to tell me a better way to deal with the fh,
too... I need to use getc, so using IO::Handle seemed the best way to
do it... maybe that's my prob?):

	my $_tty = _tty();
         open my $_fout, "> /dev/$_tty";
         my $fout = IO::Handle->new_from_fd($_fout, "w");
         $fout->autoflush(1);
	... do stuff with $fout ...

but this doesn't:

	sub fout {
		my $_tty = _tty();
         	open my $_fout, "> /dev/$_tty";
         	my $fout = IO::Handle->new_from_fd($_fout, "w");
         	$fout->autoflush(1);
		return $fout;
	}

	my $fout = fout();
	... do stuff with $fout ...

When I try to do stuff with $fout returned from a function, nothing
happens.  The problem is, I really need to be able to move the code
that create the fh into a method in another package, hence my problem.

Perl 5.8.6 on OSX 10.4.9, Apache 1.3.33 with mod_perl 1.2.9

Any help appreciated!

Kyle Dawkins
kyle at cepaso.com