[Pdx-pm] Making web pages that display "working on your request"

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin at scaldeferri.com
Thu Aug 2 18:25:37 PDT 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Kevin> Right.  It looks like your code example leaves the session
> id in the
> Kevin> URL.  So, once the whole thing is complete, if someone
> copies the URL
> Kevin> or bookmarks it, it includes that.
>
> Yeah, and they SHOULD NOT bookmark that.  It's a unique page in the
> universe
> that means something only for a while.  If they *do* bookmark it,
> they get
> what they deserve.

Well, I'm working on a site where people explicitly are going to want
to point other people to the results of queries, and most people
expect to do that by "Cmd-L Cmd-C ... change applications... Cmd-V",
and you just broke that.  Now the user has to figure out how the heck
to send a link to someone else via whatever custom method your
website decided to use.

> Kevin>  Then when they return later, after
> Kevin> the cache expires, the program concludes "something is
> wrong" and
> Kevin> displays the form to them, rather than rerunning the query.
>
> Well, it's a small matter of programming to fix *that*.  Haven't you
> ever let a query sit too long in the middle of a session, and then
> come
> back later to find "your session has timed out... please start over"?

Sure.  I absolutely hate it when website do that.

-kevin