[Pdx-pm] OT: Mac OS-X as Unix - any presenters available?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Sep 8 05:06:21 PDT 2006

This is off topic.

Many local Perl mongers sport Mac laptops, and among these are folk
with deep knowledge of the Unix nature of the newer OS-X machines.

Such knowledge would make an interesting presentation to the monthly
Advanced Topics meeting run by the Portland Linux/Unix Group on the
3rd Monday of each month.  The first open slot is October 16, the
next is December 18 ( September 18 will be about Eclipse, and
November 20 will be Cory Doctorow ).

Personally, I am not so interested in why a Mac is superior (or not)
to other systems, but more in the significant and subtle differences
between the way Mac does Unix, versus Linux or stock BSD .  For
example, I imagine many Linux sysadmins will stumble over issues
with resource forks, or with differing approaches to config files.
Since there are some big shops going to a mixture of Mac and Linux
(for example, Laika, which is hiring like crazy), this is a topical
and important subject.

This is not directly Perl related, though I can imagine Perl would
be a handy tool to fix up some of the problems in these mixed shops.

Any volunteers for an Advanced Topics presentation?  I imagine a
refined version of such a talk would be suitable for OSCON 2007.

Keith