[Pdx-pm] Off-Topic: anyone purchased a well-designed SATA enclosure from Oregon retailer?

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Tue Oct 24 16:09:49 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 03:45:31PM -0700, DK Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the region and wondering if there is there a local Oregon
> retailer worthy of recommendation and praise for having superb computer
> peripheral products? And perhaps they also stock a well-designed SATA
> enclosure, too?
>
> In any event I am searching low and high for a QUALITY enclosure (one
> with a fan for heat exhaust, interfaces for firewire and multiple
> firewire devices, at that, eSATA would be useful. Not having much luck.
> Typically finding junk products or retailers that discourage phone
> usage. I'm also not to keen on dealing with these Internet retailers,
> like satagear.com, who appear to possess multiple web site identities
> when there is actually one business in Florida. Nothing against FL. :)
>
> So I thought perhaps I could find a recommendation by one of the good
> people on this regional list?

	I have had good luck buying from Pacific Solutions on SE Powell
at 52nd.
	Buying from a local company who builds their own systems works
fairly well because they are generally fairly aware about which parts
are the most reliable (if they do a decent volume of business), and they
depend on positive word of mouth.
	That said, they may not have the particular piece of hardware you are
looking for.

	Austin