[Pdx-pm] Fwd: OT: Why no Apple Computer Oregon Site?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Feb 27 15:56:01 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 12:35 -0800, Phil Tomson wrote:

> Check out:
> http://www.apple.com/acg/
>
> Apparently it's connected with Reed College (probably because Jobs
> attended there in the 70's?)

Yeah, Reed has a long history with Apple; moreso than many colleges,
even though Apple sells particuarly heavily to them.  Among other
things, Richard Crandall used to be the Chief Scientist at NeXT
(http://www.reed.edu/~crandall/) and teaches a class every so often.
He's an odd duck and loaded too--I once watched him over the course of a
hour or so feed $400 or more into a video poker machine at the Lutz.

On campus Crandall hangs out in the Center for Advanced Computation,
which is back among some houses on Woodstock that Reed owns; I suspect
this is the true location of the ACG.  AFAIK, everyone employed there is
either a student or was recently a student.

This Xgrid thing is probably a reworking of an app included with
NeXTSTEP for pretty much the same thing--originally written by Crandall
himself.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>