[Pdx-pm] Job Posting: Web Programmer at Second Story

David Brewer david.brewer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:03:35 PST 2006

Hi there -- I'm a web programmer at a company called Second Story
Interactive here in Portland.  I'm new to this mailing list, although I've
been programming in Perl for a few years now.  I have to confess that
I actually signed up specifically to post a job opening, although I look
forward to following the list from now on as well.

Our company has a job opening and I thought that people on the list
might be interested to hear of it. It's not specifically a Perl position,
but rather a position that requires a flexible programmer who is willing
to learn new languages and technologies as projects demand them.
If you know anyone who might be interested please pass the information
along.

Thanks!

David Brewer

Second Story [http://www.secondstory.com/] is looking for versatile
programmer.  If you have an enthusiasm for creative data visualization
techniques we want to meet you! Our ideal candidate has the following
qualities:

* Experience with object-oriented programming
* Desire to explore new and emerging technologies for UI development
* Willingness to get hands dirty at the framework level
* Detail oriented with excellent communication skills
* Able to produce results independently as well as collaboratively
in a team environment
* Patience, friendliness, and a careful, methodical personality

Special consideration will be given to candidates who have created
projects that are experimental, educational, cultural, and
entertainment related.

Responsibilities:

Work closely with team in a small, fast-paced, creative environment.
Be part of a technical development team for media-rich Web and kiosk
projects.  Participate in concept development and overall web site
creation.  Develop code to realize information structure, user interface,
and visual design for the interactive experiences we produce.  Actively
participate in web application development, website development, HTML
front-end development, HTML production, quality assurance and basic
tech support.

Have experience with or willingness to learn:

* One or more programming languages such as PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, Ruby,
C++.  Able to learn new languages and technologies as needed.
* Web application development and the nuances of HTTP.
* Extensive background in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and web standards.
Should be very familiar with browsers and dealing with browser bugs.
Knowledge of accessibility issues and Section 508 a huge plus.
* Building Flash interactives with ActionScript 2 using standard
programming techniques.

If you are an innovator and want an excellent opportunity to bring your
skills and learn some new ones, please send your resume and tell us what
innovation means to you.  Deadline for this position is March 10, 2006.
Send to careers at secondstory.com.  Please reference web programmer in your
subject line.  No phone calls, consultants, or recruiters please.