[Pdx-pm] Fwd: Re: kwiki spam

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 23:08:41 PDT 2006

# from Randall Hansen
# on Tuesday 29 August 2006 03:29 pm:

>On Aug 29, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>> The question for the group:  would anyone object to being required
>> to login to edit?

>...logins are the surest way, but they are antithetical to wikiness.

Let me rephrase that:

  Would anyone object to being required to take a cookie and set a
username to edit?

I'm not talking username+password.  Just state your name.  Yeah, bots
can work around that, but they're easier to pick-out at that point.  If
the good guys and bad guys are both editing with the same name, we're
down to looking at IP's (which don't appear in the new version for
whatever reason.)  OK, so there's still the "claim to be Randall"
problem, arms race, and inevitable WWIII that follows that, etc. etc.
A padlock on your bike doesn't stop anyone who's properly equipped from
taking it, and yet it seems to help dissuade the lazier theives.

>IMHO the spam problem would have to be pretty bad to require logins.

It's bad in that it could sit there for a week or two before it gets
noticed.  Broken windows and all that.

Would anybody watch rss/atom feeds?

--Eric
--
"...our schools have been scientifically designed to
prevent overeducation from happening."