[Pdx-pm] Due to the recent non-perl vs perl thread I figured I would start one about CPAN.

Andrew Clapp andrew.clapp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:12:14 PST 2005

I guess I would like to know if it's possible/ethical/feasable to make
images with perl, without using an image creation library like libpng that
must be built and installed by the sysadmin.  I don't know how it works with
other languages (java), but they seem to make cool interactive, image driven
apps.  I want to do that with CGI too.  Currently, I must make all my images
on the fly (Imager, libpng, freetype, blah, blah) and build imagemaps to
make them clickably functional.  I can't imagine trying to get some hosting
service droid to get all that working correctly for me (IE, if I did not
have access to my own server), but maybe they are doing ok with that these
days.

Is there a better way?  What's the latest along these lines with perl?

-ASC