[Pdx-pm] Due to the recent non-perl vs perl thread I figured I would start one about CPAN.

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Tue Nov 29 16:04:57 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 03:45:26PM -0800, Andrew Clapp wrote:
> I think this is a valid concern.  What can we do that would allow more
> hosting services to have more core functionality for CGI type things?  I
> have recently used Imager-0.45, (imager.perl.org), and it's dependencies are
> not huge for the ability to make images on the fly.  But I can imagine that
> some admins might get annoyed by the conflicts between freetype and
> freetype2, libgif and libungif, etc.

I've installed individual modules into userspace, by specifying the
prefix to Makefile.PL.  Has anyone done that successfully with cpan?  I
seem to recall trying to customize a Makefile.PL input for a cpan
install once, but one of the modules choked on it badly.

It would be extremely cool if one could do something like...

    cpan -i Foo::Bar -P /home/mydir

and have everything "just work".

Also, when running modules this way, I've found it really cumbersome to
specify the Perl library location to individual scripts.  I know there's
like 5 different ways to specify additional library paths, but I'm
curious what the Best Practices are in this case.

Bryce