[Pdx-pm] Due to the recent non-perl vs perl thread I figured I would start one about CPAN.

Andrew Clapp andrew.clapp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:45:26 PST 2005

I think this is a valid concern.  What can we do that would allow more
hosting services to have more core functionality for CGI type things?  I
have recently used Imager-0.45, (imager.perl.org), and it's dependencies are
not huge for the ability to make images on the fly.  But I can imagine that
some admins might get annoyed by the conflicts between freetype and
freetype2, libgif and libungif, etc.

-ASC

On 11/29/05, benh <ben.hengst at gmail.com> wrote:

> First I have to state that I love CPAN. Its what makes perl useful
> everywhere. Though it's not without is's issues. For me though the
> largest issue is when running in a shared server enviroment. With PHP
> just about everything I would use on a normal day is included by
> default (well GD i guess would be the exception on some older boxes..)
> and if I need I can install PEAR with out the need to worry about
> having admin access or more imporantly access to gcc. Though with CPAN
> there are a few root libs that you need (I keep running in to needing
> libxml forexample).
>
> So does any one have a good solution in dealing with such cases? I
> cant expect that every hosting service would have every module
> installed by default, I can try to make a local install for most
> modules but if there are libs that you need your still out. Am I just
> barking up the wrong tree?
>
> benh~

"Yes, could I please have half an order of magnitude and a side of PI?"