[Pdx-pm] Lisp class, L2 acquisition, Prolog, etc.

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Mon May 2 13:34:18 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Rafael Almeria wrote:

> > If you want to learn Robotics AND Lisp, Dr. Perkowski teaches a
> > Robotics
> > class (Usually in the Winter & Spring terms in the PSU ECE dept) in
> > which
> > he uses a good amount of Lisp (he's a big fan of Lisp).  A class
> > like that might either be a lot more than you bargained for or it might
> > actually be a great way of learning Lisp by applying it to an
> > interesting
> > topic right away.
>
> When I took that class many years ago he required Prolog and there
> wasn't
> a lot of programming involved.  Most of the work was in studying various
> AI techniques.  About 30% of the students who signed up were still
> around
> for the final so it's not a class for the faint of heart.

Indeed.  That's why I said it could be more than you bargained for.
However, if you can keep up with him and if you can adjust to his (for
lack of a better term, I don't mean it negatively) ADD style you're going
to learn a lot.  He does
tend to jump around a lot and has a lot of ideas that he wants you to try
out and sometimes he's passing out these new ideas on-the-fly, off the
top of his head - the man is an idea machine and a very good source of
research topics.  The great thing is that he tends to be very passionate
about the topics he's teaching/researching so you won't likely get bored.
Just make sure you get good and rested up before you take one of his
classes ;-)

I took his Logic Synthesis Algorithms class back in '92 and it totally
changed my career direction from hardware design to EDA software.  That
class was a _lot_ more than I bargained for, but sometimes that's a very
positive thing.

I attended a talk he gave on Robotics a few weeks ago and he mentioned
that they have some Lisp projects going.  I'm sure if you took the class
and expressed an interest in using and learning Lisp that he would be more
than eager to oblige.

Phil