[Pdx-pm] Lisp class, L2 acquisition, Prolog, etc.

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Mon May 2 12:54:00 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Austin Schutz wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:32:42AM -0700, Randall Lucas wrote:
> > My goodness,
> >
> > What a lot of interesting talk this query has elicited.  I put my
> > comments on the tangential issues below.  But the question remains: is
> > there a good institution in Portland where I can find a structured group
> > class on Lisp (or for that matter, Haskell etc.)?  I'm hoping to hear,
> > "oh, call the CS department at OGI" or something of that sort.
> >

> 	I would suggest contacting the instructors teaching the AI courses
> at PSU and OGI and see if they still use Lisp. I would be surprised if they
> did, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
> 	They used to teach Scheme as part of the curriculum at UO but I'm
> not sure they still do, and that's probably out of the way a bit.

If you want to learn Robotics AND Lisp, Dr. Perkowski teaches a Robotics
class (Usually in the Winter & Spring terms in the PSU ECE dept) in which
he uses a good amount of Lisp (he's a big fan of Lisp).  A class
like that might either be a lot more than you bargained for or it might
actually be a great way of learning Lisp by applying it to an interesting
topic right away.

Phil