[Pdx-pm] Perl Testing book - layout

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 27 08:19:31 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:44:36AM +1000, Andrew Savige wrote:
> I've ordered the book for work but we haven't received it yet.
>
> I read the sample chapter and it's brilliant: really clear,
> easy to follow, and seemed 100% error-free (a rarity).
>
> Oh, and I love the "formula" way each section is laid out:

The text does look well thought out.  However, it appears that for some
overpaid-art-school-graduate-who-doesn't-care-about-readability-or-
printing-cost reason, they decided to print this excellent text on
top of a light blue grid, I guess because it looks like a "notebook".
I would get a headache trying to read it.  Does the online Safari
Bookshelf version look the same?  I could download it during OSCON,
and print it out without the graphcrud - then pay chromatic and Ian
and Tim the royalties.

Tangentally, is the current trend to print text in jarring, hard-to-read
ways considered desirable by many under-30 folk?  Is this some sort of
counter-reaction to improvements in printing and display technology?
Or is it just to piss off people with vision problems?

Keith

... and now, back to the discussion on Coffee vs. Tea .   The assumption
is that those stains are spilled beverage-of-choice, when they are
actually the debris caused by smashing a large bug with the bottom of
an empty mug.  So is an empty coffee mug better than an empty tea mug?