[Pdx-pm] OT? Java .Net C# unhyped info?

Ovid publiustemp-pdxpm at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 16:31:13 PDT 2005

--- Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Some might say this is off-topic.  I'm trying to find honest
> introductory information about these overly hyped technologies that
> isn't on a Sun/MS billboard or in the context of "why these are
> stupid."
>
> Maybe my question is whether they are worth learning or how much is
> important to know.

Various thoughts:  I know Java and I'm quite pleased that it's taught
me quite a bit about OO (including how *not* to do it).  Java is simple
(the language, not all the bloody APIs), ubiquitous and and as of the
1.5 release, it's starting to get interesting.  Not surprisingly, the
reason Java is starting to get interesting is because of competition
from C#.

As for C#, there's this obscure Perl hacker named Simon Cozens who has
interesting stuff to say about .Net and C#:
http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/19/dotnet.html

If you do go looking for information about these technologies, just be
sure to get it from those folks who actually have programmed in them.
I'm surprised at the amount of anti-language FUD I hear from folks
who've never actually *used* the languages they're bashing.

Cheers,
Ovid