[Pdx-pm] Starting from scratch with Module::Build

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Fri Jul 1 15:06:44 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:26:41PM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> I think it just got added to Module::Build::Authoring in 1.9.

Yeah, its in the alpha version.
http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build-0.27_01/lib/Module/Build/Authoring.pod

But it talks almost exclusively about the various detailed things you can
do in Build.PL and not about basic things like where your modules and tests
go.  For that sort of information the best source at the moment is probably
to adapt from ExtUtils::MakeMaker::Tutorial.
http://search.cpan.org/dist/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker/Tutorial.pod

I honestly don't bother with things like h2xs (especially h2xs) because
their templates tend to make things seem WAY more complicated than they
really are by providing "fill in the blanks" for all sorts of stuff you're
unlikely to need.  I think h2xs has contributed greatly to the "writing
modules is hard" myth.

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern at pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Ahh email, my old friend.  Do you know that revenge is a dish that is best