[Pdx-pm] ExtUtils::MakeMaker

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Tue Feb 15 23:37:08 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:47:54PM -0800, Chris Dawson wrote:
> I am having some trouble figuring out how to use MakeMaker.  I have a
> Makefile.PL which looks like this:
>
> use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
>
> WriteMakefile( NAME => "Smil",
>               PMLIBDIRS => [ ( ".", "SMIL", "RN" ) ] );
>
> package MY;
>
> sub libscan
> { # Determine things that should *not* be installed
>    my($self, $path) = @_;
>    return '' if $path !~ m/\.pm$/i;
>    $path;
> }

You're going to feel silly.

  use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
  WriteMakefile( NAME => 'Smil' );

MakeMaker will figure out the rest.  Your additions above are actually
sabotaging MakeMaker's default "find my pm files" logic.  I'm curious why
you put them there in the first place (to better understand why new users
get confused).

The basics are covered in ExtUtils::MakeMaker::Tutorial.