[Pdx-pm] Build vs. MakeMaker

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Sun Feb 13 22:38:07 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 21:39 -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Still learning about building apps.  Apparently MakeMaker is passe,
> and the New Thing is Module::Build .  OTOH, MakeMaker always works
> with most Perl installations, while Build may not be fully rolled
> out yet.  OTGH, it apparently is possible to hack things so that
> the first thing Makefile.pl does is install Build.
>
> So confusing!  I want to roll out a test version of Dirvish in the
> next two weeks, followed by a production version in a couple of
> months.  I would like to keep things as simple as possible.  I
> would also like to learn the New Thing and not bother learning the
> Old Thing if I can.  Suggestions?

For simple installations of pure-Perl modules, they're of equal ability
and difficulty.  The nice thing about Module::Build is that customzing
the build is as easy as writing Perl.  The bad thing about MakeMaker is
that customizing the build is as hard as running regular expressions
against generated Makefiles or else figuring out how its inheritance
hierarchy works.

You should be fine with either one.  Module::Build is almost in
bleadperl, so it's reasonably stable and solid and has certainly done me
no wrong.

-- c