[Pdx-pm] Two peas in a perlpod

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 9 20:17:24 PST 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Keith Lofstrom
# on Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:43 am:

>Is possible to extract two pod documents from one Perl program,
>or extract one pod document from two Perl programs, perhaps by
>adding some special pod tags and running a special pod extractor?
>For example, I want to generate both a user's and a designer's
>doc from the same perl script;  the designer's doc might be
>constructed out of multiple perl scripts.

There was some discussion on this sort of thing under the thread
"not-so-plain documentation" on the module-authors list a while back.
The thread got started for other reasons, but you know how threads go.

IMO, perldoc needs work.  So fix it, improve it, and get it into the
standard distribution.  That would be great.

Barring that, you could lead all of the designer docs with comments, so
that something like this would work:

  grep "#" scriptname | sed 's/^# //' | perldoc

That is, it would work if you improved perldoc to be able to read
stdin :-)  As it is, I guess you have to use a temp file.

--Eric
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
                                        --Albert Einstein