[Pdx-pm] Windows Timezone offset

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Fri Oct 22 20:35:33 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 06:12:28PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Anyone know how to determine the timezone offset (for use in e-mail
> Date: header) in Windows?
>
> Perl knows since localtime and gmtime return two different
> (string/scalar) values but I could not determine where it came from.
> %ENV doesn't have it and a search of the perldoc.com site didn't give me
> anything useful.

Perl just calls the localtime() and gmtime() C functions and leaves them to
do the magic.

But since you have localtime and gmtime you can calcuate the offset easily.

	use Time::Local;

	# Convert localtime to # of seconds since epoch
	my $localtime = timelocal(localtime);

	# Get # of seconds different from GMT
	my $offset = $localtime - time;

	# Convert from seconds to hours.
	print $offset/(60 * 60);

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Do not try comedy at home!  Milk & Cheese are advanced experts!  Attempts at