[Pdx-pm] Single purpose apps

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Mon Oct 18 14:45:10 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:59:17AM -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> 8) One tool for one job? - by sczimme
> Given the nature of current operating systems and applications, do you
> think the idea of "one tool doing one job well" has been abandoned? If
> so, do you think a return to this model would help bring some innovation
> back to software development?
>
> (It's easier to toss a small, single-purpose app and start over than it
> is to toss a large, feature-laden app and start over.)
>
> Pike:
> Those days are dead and gone and the eulogy was delivered by Perl.

The irony of that being that Perl is often used to write small,
single-purpose apps.  Or, if you want to look at it in a more
modern way, single-purpose modules which I'm feeling are replacing the
niche of small apps.

Regardless, I'm still not really sure what Pike means by that.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Good tidings, my native American Indian friend!  America will soon again