[Pdx-pm] web form and perl question

Thomas J Keller kellert at ohsu.edu
Fri May 7 10:47:58 CDT 2004

Hi all,
I hope this isn't considered off-topic.
For taking work requests at my lab we use a simple web form (calls yea
old 'generic-formmail.pl' in cgi-bin), the script action is to send an
email to the lab with the extracted parameter: value items. In the lab
another script munges the email and the data is piped into other
programs.

The web form requires each sample name to be entered in a separate text
box. Some clients have multiple samples that they'd like to be able to
enter "en masse" i.e. as a batch. I'm considering allowing a file
upload, but I'm worried about having to deal with an infinite number of
formats to parse down the road.  Are there any simple and safe ways to
do batch data entry from a web form?

Your experience and suggestions are humbly requested.

Thanks,
Tom K.

Tom Keller, Ph.D.
http://www.ohsu.edu/research/core