[Pdx-pm] Noob...

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Fri Mar 19 02:15:42 CST 2004

James marks <jamarks at jamarks.com> writes:

> I'm wondering if you can give me some  help. I'm trying to learn Perl
> but could use some advice as I go about trying to solve a practice
> project (I'm just getting started at learning Perl):
>
> I want to parse an HTML file that exists on the web.

As long as it's only practice, feel free to use Regular Expressions.
If it needs to scale, RE's are not a parsing tool sufficient to the
richness of real-world HTML. In that case, look for a real parsing
tool or module. It's not my baliwick, but it's in a FAQ somewhere.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Perl, rich with all it's tools --
sharp, dull, general, specific, appropriate and obtuse.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net